Chief, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Location: Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
Thomas Jefferson University is seeking an experienced colon and rectal surgeon for the position of Chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
The successful candidate will have overall administrative and clinical responsibility for the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery within the Jefferson Health System which consists of multiple hospitals and off-site practices.The main priorities and specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Recommend, develop, implement and update strategic long and short-range plans to grow and expand the overall volume and service offerings within the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery. This includes working closely with Department administration to develop appropriate business plans and projections related to services within the Division.
- Ensure that the Division is fiscally sound and work to enhance overall revenue of the Division. This will include monitoring financial reports issued by the Department of Surgery in comparison to the budgeted targets set by the Department and/or Institution.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of surgical staff
- Develop a strong working relationship with all members of the Division and Department; monitor and implement plans that improve physician satisfaction.
- Recommend clinical privileges for physicians with appointments in the Division (processed through established medical staff channels).
- Develop and implement physician communication strategies that inform, link and bond Division physicians among themselves and with other Jefferson Health physicians, including forums that promote information exchange, collective purpose and socialization.
- Delegate authority and responsibility to Division team members; develop improved management techniques and practices.
- Work closely with members of other Divisions to develop collaborative initiatives related to colorectal surgery.
- Serve on committees and/or task forces
- Embrace and enhance the training of colorectal surgery fellows, and maintain (and perhaps expand) our ACGME-approved fellowship
- Perform advanced-level surgical procedures as they relate to the treatment of patients with colorectal conditions; identify and implement advanced or new surgical therapies related to the field of colorectal surgery.
- Work with marketing and operations teams to foster relationships with internal and external sources to build, maintain and grow your and the Division’s clinical practice. Monitor access to clinical services and work with appropriate leaders to remove barriers and facilitate referrals and patient flow.
- Ensure that the quality and appropriateness of surgical care are monitored and evaluated and that appropriate action based on findings taken when necessary.
- Develop quality targets for the Division; monitor the quality and appropriateness of colorectal surgical care when rendered by physicians in the Division or in Department of Surgery training and education programs.
- Recommend and develop policies and procedures that encompass patient care, patient safety, etc. in compliance with accepted standards, regulatory agencies governing health care delivery and the guidelines/rules or accrediting bodies.
- Monitor patient satisfaction reports and develop plans by which Division physicians can contribute to improvement of patient satisfaction with clinical services in all of Jefferson Health care facilities.
- Work to achieve top decile outcomes in the domain of Colorectal Surgery, using ACS-NSQIP or Vizient benchmark data
- Have a successful background in advancing colon and rectal surgery programs from administrative, education, research and patient care perspectives
- Have a track record of working collaboratively with clinical colleagues in both leadership and non-leadership roles across multiple disciplines
- Have a strong background in managing and mentoring
- Be eligible to hold a medical license in Pennsylvania
- Have a minimum 5-10 years of colon and rectal surgical experience with a track record of increasing administrative responsibility
- Experience in program development
- Be eligible for academic appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor of Surgery
- Access Job ID 9250748 on Jefferson Health’s carreer website.
- Sign In to access your account. If you are not an existing user, select the New User link to create one.
- Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
For more information, contact Wendy Gable, VP Executive & Faculty Recruitment, Wendy.Gable@jefferson.edu